Monday, December 3, 2007

Gifts of the Holy Spirit

1 Corinthians 12:1 Now, dear brothers and sisters, regarding your question about the special abilities the Spirit gives us. I don’t want you to misunderstand this.
2 You know that when you were still pagans, you were led astray and swept along in worshiping speechless idols.
3 So I want you to know that no one speaking by the Spirit of God will curse Jesus, and no one can say Jesus is Lord, except by the Holy Spirit.
4 There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all.
5 There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord.
6 God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us.
7 A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other.
8 To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice; to another the same Spirit gives a message of special knowledge.
9 The same Spirit gives great faith to another, and to someone else the one Spirit gives the gift of healing.
10 He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and another the ability to prophesy. He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit. Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages, while another is given the ability to interpret what is being said.
11 It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have.
12 The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole body. So it is with the body of Christ.
13 Some of us are Jews, some are Gentiles, some are slaves, and some are free. But we have all been baptized into one body by one Spirit, and we all share the same Spirit.
14 Yes, the body has many different parts, not just one part.
15 If the foot says, “I am not a part of the body because I am not a hand,” that does not make it any less a part of the body.
16 And if the ear says, “I am not part of the body because I am not an eye,” would that make it any less a part of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, how would you hear? Or if your whole body were an ear, how would you smell anything?
18 But our bodies have many parts, and God has put each part just where he wants it.
19 How strange a body would be if it had only one part!
20 Yes, there are many parts, but only one body.
21 The eye can never say to the hand, “I don’t need you.” The head can’t say to the feet, “I don’t need you.”
22 In fact, some parts of the body that seem weakest and least important are actually the most necessary.
23 And the parts we regard as less honorable are those we clothe with the greatest care. So we carefully protect those parts that should not be seen,
24 while the more honorable parts do not require this special care. So God has put the body together such that extra honor and care are given to those parts that have less dignity.
25 This makes for harmony among the members, so that all the members care for each other. 26 If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it, and if one part is honored, all the parts are glad.
27 All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it.
28 Here are some of the parts God has appointed for the church:
first are apostles, second are prophets, third are teachers, then those who do miracles, those who have the gift of healing, those who can help others, those who have the gift of leadership, those who speak in unknown languages.
29 Are we all apostles? Are we all prophets? Are we all teachers? Do we all have the power to do miracles?
30 Do we all have the gift of healing? Do we all have the ability to speak in unknown languages? Do we all have the ability to interpret unknown languages? Of course not!
31 So you should earnestly desire the most helpful gifts.
But now let me show you a way of life that is best of all.


Spiritual gifts are given to each of us as means of helping the entire church.
Discernment
Gift of giving wise advice
Special knowledge
Special faith
Power to heal the sick
Power to perform miracles
Ability to prophecy
Speak in unknown language
Interpret unknown language

The Holy Spirit gives these gifts to
apostles
prophets
teachers
those who do miracles
those who have the gift of healing
those who can help others
those who can get others to work together
and those who can speak in unknown languages.

Jesus was the primary example of using these gifts. I heard someone once say that Jesus while on earth moved in every spiritual gift. But I'm not sure if I believe that because the bible talks about a person being part of the body. Especially in 1 Corinthians 12 how no part of the body is better than another. But then again Paul says later that you should desire all of the spiritual gifts. Which means you can more than likely obtain all spiritual gifts or else he wouldn't have said to try for all of them. If anyone were able to obtain all spiritual gifts it would be Jesus for sure.

So I guess my question is can you move in more than one gift at the same time. Or rather, if you can move in more than one gift at the same time is it something Jesus wants you to do?

By human nature (remembering that Jesus was fully God and fully man), if a man approached me saying would you please come to my house for my daughter is very ill and I believe you can pray and make her well again I would not be thinking about the next way I could use my gifting in getting people to work together on the way to the mans house. My thoughts would not automatically go to 'when is the next time I will get to interpret unknown languages' or 'let me teach the crowd behind me along the way'. My thoughts would be solely preoccupied with the gift of healing. I would be praying in the spirit, walking to this man's house with one thought: “Lord, let me heal”. I could have all of the gifts of the spirit but that still does not change the one simplistic fact that I am without a doubt human. Blessed are the poor in spirit. There is no way by my own authority I would every in a billion years be able to heal this girl. Never would it be possible for my weak human frame to act to this extreme without God residing within me in constant communication and power.

So I was thinking... What were Jesus' thoughts on the way to heal this little girl? I doubt it was what He had for breakfast. I doubt He was thinking about how He was going to get the disciples to stop talking about the who would be the greatest in Heaven. My guess, and I only can state this while admitting it is something I am no where close to having full revelation of, is that Jesus was completely submerged in Holy Spirit drawn utterances of allow me to heal. Noted, that the Holy Spirit is Jesus and Jesus is God and God is the Holy Spirit. This is something I could write pages and pages of gibberish and made up ideas and conclusions of trying to figure a little bit more about God out. But the fact is this is not something provable by my own strength. It's just an idea, and more than likely not a unknown one.
Why O Jesus would this woman be healed by touching Your robe? I know You are God but by Your own power was this hemorrhaging woman healed? Or were You seeking after God in that single moment.

My mind just crossed to that scripture about the people following Peter around and getting healed by his shadow. Was Peter's mission to heal people at the moment of his passing by? Was his heart set toward the Father in hopes that those around him would be healed? Or was it just something that happened?

I personally believe that our all spiritual gifts are obtainable and to be desired, but not for the purpose of walking around in constant using of all at the same time. But rather focusing mainly on each individual spiritual gift at selective times.

No comments: